What’s with that thumb-hole at the bottom of a bottle?

By Jesse on March 9, 2008

That’s an excellent question, and one that’s provoked no shortage of debates in our meetings. The thumb-hole you describe is actually called a punt, and there’s a huge discourse regarding its origins and significance… check out this page for more information than you’d ever care to know about the punt debate.

What we do know is that it probably doesn’t exist solely so waiters can show off by pouring wine with their thumb up in it… although it can’t be denied, some punts are really conducive to such things. Check out this photo of Jesse wrangling the 2005 Papillon (note: any bottle that I can actually balance on my massive thumb definitely possesses a punt to be reckoned with).


Read the rest of this entry »


  1. In my wine storage, each rack space holds two bottles – slide one to the back and then slide another in front of it. The punt allows the bottles to nest and take up less linear space. (Whether the lack of a punt would make the bottles shorter so they would fit anyway is left as an exercise…)

    Also left as an exercise is a discussion of the (sometimes startling) feminine nature of the punt – perhaps a glass blower’s homage to a former love…?

    Comment by el jefe — March 22, 2008 @ 9:09 am

  2. It may be an urban legend, but: I was once told it was called a “sham”.

    In early days, when bottles were hard to come by, people would return their bottles for new ones at the winery/bar.

    If the “sham” was not the same as the one they returned, they would in essence be shorted on their refill. This was a “sham”. Not sure if it’s true, but I like this term better than a punt.

    Comment by Jerry — March 10, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

Leave a comment